Friday, November 20, 2009

tuition blog update.

So, i thought i would do a brief follow up of my previous blog on tuition increases.

This article
pretty much says everything I wish I had said first.


Though we are in a recession, and many people are being severely hurt by tuition increases, our educations are becoming better.
"Over the 1967 to 2007 period, the average annual growth rate of tuition paid was 6 percent at the most selective colleges, but the growth rate in their resources was 13 percent and the growth rate in their subsidies was 25 percent!"


In response to the comments about USC spending their money on beautification, I think that it is a necessary expense. Though, I do not know to what extent the school uses its money on beautification projects, i know that many people are drawn to the university because of its campus. It is a beautiful campus and many people would not be willing to attend if the campus mirrored the neighborhood that it sits in.

Also, many students complain that they do not feel safe in the area, and when USC spends the money to try to improve the area, they complain that their tuition is being wasted on frivolous things like purchasing more property, etc. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You pay for quality, and that is what we are receiving attending USC. A quality education, at a price that reflects as such. I am still a firm believer that in the end, the price is worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I am concerned about the future of our school, but I don’t think that USC should use my tuition money to pay for capital improvements. My tuition should be used for operating activities to keep the school in operation during the duration of my time here. The money used to build new buildings and beautify the campus should be raised by donors, and not paid for by the tuition of the students. I am graduating this spring, so I will not benefit from a prettier campus. When these projects are completed, I will be long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a breakdown somewhere that tells how USC allocates the tuition money? Because, at least from my understanding through interviewing the Chief Financial Officer for the Daily Trojan, the money goes into one big pot. Our tuition doesn't necessarily go toward beautification. USC has income from its hospitals, its tuition, gifts and the endowment. All of that together pays for whatever needs to be paid for. I don't think they say: "We're going to use 10 percent of the tutition to pay for real estate developments." They just consider all their income one lump sum that goes toward its operating budget.

    ReplyDelete